At Eastbourne Car Auctions we are committed to protecting your privacy. Our approach is to keep your data safe, and by trusting us with your data we commit never to pass it on to other companies (unless there is a statutory requirement for us to do so by law). This policy explains how we collect and use personal data that we may collect about you when you interact with us.
We collect and process data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We do not disclose data to any third parties unless disclosure is necessary for the fulfilment of a service you have specifically given consent for or we have a legitimate interest in disclosing data. Instances in which we do disclose data to third parties are outlined below.
Processing Personal Data
We rely on the following lawful bases for processing your data:
- Consent – we ask your consent for marketing to you by email, SMS Messaging or post; by consenting to this request we can collect and process your data for this purpose.
- Contract – we need to collect and process your personal data to fulfil a contract with you; for example if you buy a vehicle.
- Legal obligation – where necessary we are obliged to process personal data to comply with the law; for example if you buy or sell a vehicle with us we must retain some personal data for at least six years to comply with HMRC and our obligations under legislation.
- Legitimate interests – we collect and process some personal data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way you that would reasonably be expected as part of running our business; for example to better understand our customers so as to provide products and services.Personal Data we collect
We may collect and process some or all of the following information:
- Your name, address, phone number, email address, gender, date of birth and other contact information;
- Details of payments that you make to us (payment card details and other transaction details are held by a trusted third-party payment provider in accordance with the compliance requirements set up by our terminal provider);
- Information about your trading and payment history, and information we learn from the way you purchase and/or sell with us;
- The marketing preferences that you provide to us confirming whether you would like us to contact you with information and offers that may be of interest to you; and
- Records of your activity on our website gathered by cookies on your computer, including your IP address.Protecting Personal Data
We take the necessary security arrangements to protect your personal data that is in our possession to prevent unauthorised access, use, disclosure, or similar risks. We take reasonable and appropriate measures to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of your personal data and will only share your data with authorised persons for the exact purpose we specify.
Sharing Personal Data
We may need to share your personal data with third parties. In such cases your data will only be shared with parties who adhere to GDPR, data will only be used for the exact purpose we specify, data will be transferred and stored securely and will be deleted or anonymised if we stop working with that third party.
The following list is indicative of third parties with whom we share data (but is non-exhaustive and may change from time-to-time):
- Insurance Companies
- DVLARetaining Personal Data
We keep your data for as long as it’s needed, after which time it will be deleted or anonymised such that any personal data is removed. We retain some customer data for at least 6 years for legal purposes and to ensure that we are able to assist with any issue that might arise from a previous purchase or sale. After 7 years we will remove your data unless you have consented to our marketing activity. If we provide you with a valuation and you don’t consent to marketing, we’ll keep your data for 12 months in case you wish to proceed.
Your Rights over Personal Data
Please contact us if you would like to exercise your right to:
Access your personal data
Correct any errors in your personal data
Erase your personal data (unless that would conflict with our legal obligations) Withdraw consent for us to use your personal data
Object to us processing your personal data
Withdrawal from marketing
We try to provide you with only informative and relevant content, but you can withdraw consent for us to market to you by
- clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any marketing email we send
- contacting us and asking to opt outUnhappy with our approach?
If you are unhappy with any aspect of our use of your personal data please let us know. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (the supervisory authority) whose contact details can be found on their website.
Cookies we use
We use the following cookies:
- Google Analytics – These cookies help Google evaluate how our customers use our website. This is used to compile reports and improve on-site user experience.
- Facebook – These cookies allow Facebook to track your usage on our site for reporting and marketing purposes.
Up-to-date browsers allow users to control cookies by accepting or rejecting some, or all, cookies or by prompting users each time a cookie is offered. If cookies aren’t enabled on your computer, the functionality on our website will be restricted and you may not be fully utilise our website. Detailed information on managing cookies on many popular browsers is available at www.aboutcookies.org